Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using Online Check-in, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper travel documentation.

Certain ports of call will require a VISA which must be obtained prior to your cruise and will be checked at embarkation. All guests must check with their travel agent or the appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents.


U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel).  Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one.  Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.


The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the WHTI compliant documents, listed below.  Additionally, baptismal and hospital certificates, copies of U.S. passports and naturalization papers, are not WHTI compliant documents, therefore, are NOT acceptable. 

·         Valid U.S. Passport

·         Passport Card

·         Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city)

·         Certificate of Naturalization

·         Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card,  e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

·         Enhanced Tribal Card

·         A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

·         Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

Important Notes: .

Enhanced Driver’s Licenses can be used as proof of citizenship at land and sea ports of entry. However, it cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States. There are currently four U.S. states and four Canadian provinces producing EDLs:


New York



British Columbia




A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.  For a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents  Click Here

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship that is accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo identification with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.


*If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact ZVS at or by phone: 1-866-788-1100.  Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees.

To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure.

If you are traveling with minor children without both parents/legal guardians and plan on disembarking (Terminating your cruise) in Mexico; please Click Here for important information

Sailings from Canada or to Canadian Ports of Call

U.S. Citizens require a valid passport or WHTI compliant documents.

Europe, Hawaii and Transatlantic Cruises

U.S. citizens must have a valid passport.

U.S. Alien Residents and Non-U.S. Citizens

U.S. Alien Residents require a valid Alien Resident Card and/or passport (depending on itinerary) to travel on all Carnival cruises.  Non-U.S. citizens require a valid machine readable passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable, to travel on all Carnival cruises.  Guests are advised to check with their travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents, including a Schengen/ or Croatian Visa necessary for European cruises.

On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation. Non-U.S. citizens that are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program, must still have a valid unexpired passport. U.S. State Department regulations require all guests traveling from visa-waiver countries be in possession of a machine-readable passport that includes a biometric identifier – e.g., embedded digital photograph. Otherwise, guests will be required to obtain a U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.

Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa Requirements

During your Mediterranean or Transatlantic voyage, you will be visiting various countries such as Spain, France, Italy, Portugal and Croatia.  Specific countries will vary depending on the voyage you have chosen.  Some of these countries are members of the Schengen Agreement.  Countries participating in the Schengen Agreement are listed below.  Because the ship may be departing and re-entering countries which participate in the Schengen Agreement, certain nationalities will be required to obtain a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa (for at least two entries) prior to joining the ship.  A Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa may be required if your passport has been issued by a country other than the United States, Canada or European Community.

Visa requirements vary depending on the passport under which you are traveling and the countries being visited. Guests traveling under non-U.S., non-Canadian and non-European passports must check with the Consulate of every country visited during the cruise for specific Visa requirements. When contacting the Consulate for the country being visited, be sure to provide the complete itinerary of the cruise so the Consulate can provide the correct information as your Schengen Visa requirements. Guests may also contact a Visa service agency in their country for assistance.

If a Schengen Visa is required for your nationality and you are not in possession of this Visa when departing for the cruise, you may be denied boarding OR, in a Schengen Agreement port the local authorities may detain you on board the ship and assess a fee.


1. There are now 25 countries that are part of the Schengen Agreement: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, (including Monaco), Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

2. Currently, U.S., Canadian, and European Community passport holders do not require a Schengen Visa.

3. If a non-Schengen country is visited in between visits to Schengen countries, a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa will be required.

4. Guests must show proof of medical insurance coverage of at least U.S. $37,500 in order to obtain a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa. Additionally, this proof of medical insurance coverage is also required when entering a Schengen Visa country.

5. The following are a few types of nationalities requiring a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa: citizens of Russia, Trinidad & Tobago, Colombia, China, Morocco, Hong Kong, Philippines, and Turkey. Please contact the consulates for a complete list.


Guests traveling on the Carnival Splendor visiting Brazil:


• U.S. and Canadian citizens are required to obtain a Brazilian visa.

• U.S. Resident Aliens and Non-U.S. citizens may require a visa for Brazil, depending on their nationality. Please check with the appropriate consulates to determine the necessary documents.

We have been informed by the Brazil Consulates that processing times for all visa issuance and legalization is taking longer than normal. The Consulates are working diligently to resolve the delays but cannot provide any guidance as to when operations will return to normal. Therefore, we strongly suggest you submit your Visa applications as quickly as possible and not wait until the last minute. Please allow ample time to include delays.

Guests may apply for a visa at any time. However, the application process may take 6 to 8 weeks. So, to avoid rush fees, please allow ample time for processing. A visa may be obtained at:

o Visa Central – U.S. citizens please visit or for Canadian citizens (to secure a discounted rate, please indicate you are traveling on Carnival Cruise Lines).

o Closest Brazilian Consulate



Passports are required for air travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Bermuda. This will impact all guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises; and our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation ports. This will also enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications.

Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver’s license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.